Friday, February 6, 2009

On being an author

I have changed my blogspot address to be more compatible with my website and therefor more compatible with my writing in general rather than with just my current book. 
I began writing over twenty years ago while taking college classes.  All degrees require English courses and there are many available.  The one that intrigued me the most was called creative writing.  Well being a government employee at the time who was required to write justifications for positions and equipment allocations I was already doing that to some extent.  Now I will come some short of saying that those writings were untruthful but if they had been investigated to any great extent my section would not have received some of the equipment that we did.  So I enrolled in the creative writing class.  My professor's name was Sarah Gogle.  I say this for two reasons, one I am amazed that I remember her name at all and two that I now blog on Google.Well maybe it wasn't that interesting after all.   
Anyway one of my first assignments in this class was to write a one page story describing a conflict.  I thought and thought and could not think of a suitable conflict that I could describe in only one page.  Then while watching a baseball game on television it came to me.  So I wrote the short story that is now one of many on my web site's free ebook collections of short stories.  These stories can be downloaded for free by going to www.everettede.com and clicking on the link for short stories.  The story that I wrote was titled fastball and was nothing more than a five pitch confrontation between a pitcher and a batter.  The lesson here is that there is conflict in our lives each and everyday and each conflict is worthy of the written word.    
The next thing that I learned in this class had more to do with learning about myself than about writing itself. For the next assignment the class was asked to write a short story and each person would bring enough copies of each story for each of the other class members.  The average length of the stories provided by other class members was four.  My story was seventeen pages long.  It seems that my gift of gab translates well to paper as well.  Oh and I type nearly as fast as I speak so I can simply sit at the computer and have a conversation with myself or, as in this case I just ramble on.  This is actually really cool because no one can get up a walk out on me.  If they don't like what I am writing they simply delete it but I will never know that they did that so my ego remains intact. 
At any rate today I had a conversation with my friend Cliff and he had the courtesy to tell me that he enjoyed my writing and that he read my blogs.  So I was encouraged to start this up again.  I will try to write something at least once each month and most of what I write will be about writing or publishing, however I will no doubt throw a tantrum occasionally over something that I read or see on the Internet. 

I will close this with the same closing that I used when I wrote the articles on communication between men and women for single vision magazine.  

Have a good understanding.   

No comments:

Post a Comment